Here at ToneDen, we like data. We like measuring results. We're big believers in conversion tracking, which is just a technical way of saying ... well, tracking whether or not your user/customer/fan completes a specific action. Usually that action is purchasing, but it can be anything: signing up for an email list, sharing Facebook contact info, etc.
Tracking can happen on multiple devices, anywhere from mobile phones to desktop computers. No matter where it's happening, conversion tracking clues you into people's behavior after they've encountered your Facebook Ads.
To start tracking your conversions, all you need to do is create a Facebook pixel. This pixel is embedded on the pages of your website where conversions happen (i.e., the checkout page). Once that pixel's in place, you'll be able to see who converts as a result of your Facebook Ads.
The pixel will continue to monitor the actions people take after clicking on your ad. You'll learn on which device people saw your ad, as well as on which device they converted.
When you use conversion tracking, Facebook will automatically show your ads to people who are most likely to convert. When you optimize for an action on your website, such as “Add to Cart,” Facebook will automatically serve your ads to individuals with a history of online purchasing.
This means you’re no longer spending solely for engagement (i.e., comments, likes, shares) or inexpensive clicks that may or may not result in sales. No one wants to waste their time or ad spend.
The biggest advantage of conversion tracking is that Facebook will be able to show you what your ROAS (Return on Ad Spend) is.
Knowing your ROAS is important because:
- You can learn where your return on marketing dollars and allocate budget towards channels that will result in more sales
- When advertising on Facebook, you'll know which audiences are actually driving sales--and which aren’t
The end result? You increase your chances of converting more customers and reduce the risk of wasted ad spend!
How to create your Pixel
From Ads Manager:
- Click Tools from the top menu
- Click Create a Pixel
- Click View Pixel Code and then copy the code that’s displayed
Add the Facebook pixel to your website
Install pixel with code:
- To add the pixel to your website, take the code and place it between <head> </head> in the code of the webpage where you want track conversions
- This pixel can track conversions such as checkouts, registrations, leads, key page views or customers adding items to a cart. Be sure to add the pixel to the page on your site where conversions take place.
- You can also assign a value to the conversion event. Learn how.
Install pixel on third-party publishing or e-commerce platforms: